Marktplatz When duke Ulrich of Mecklenburg decided to make Güstrow one of his residences, the winds of European history blew through the town on several occasions and it played an important role in the political development of our country up to the 19th century. The courtly life attracted many different artists, ...

... laid the foundation for various cultural traditions and architec-tural styles which have been cultivated in Güstrow ever since. In addition, Güstrow was the home of many well-known musicians, painters and poets. Visit one of the charming cafés in the old town and enjoy the lovely surroundings.


The silhouette of our town is dominated by the cathedral and the parish church. Their towers can be seen over a long distance as they project into the hilly landscape with its lakes, ponds, fields and woods.

The cathedral is one of the oldest churches of our country. Pieces of art of the 15th and 16th century as well as “The Hovering” (Der Schwebende) by Ernst Barlach an important work of the 20th century can be admired here. In its present shape the parish church on market square is a building of the 16th century. It underwent extended construction work from 1880 to 1883 and was turned into a three-nave hall church. Its very precious interior fittings consisting of 16th century pieces of art have been kept.
Dom am See

Guestrow castle is the most important Renaissance palace in the north of Germany. It was built in the 16th century as a lordly residence for Ulrich, Duke of Mecklenburg, to replace a medieval castle. The architect who was commissioned for the impressive south and west wings was Franz Parr who created an impressive synthesis of Italian, French and German architectural styles reflecting the ambitions of his patron. The north wing was finished by Philipp Brandin, the east wing, which completed the courtyard, later fell into decay.

Only for two years the castle was a scene of Wallenstein’s courtly life, but it was also the starting point of broadminded and intelligent thoughts of reformation. In the centuries that followed it underwent many changes until in 1972, after a period of extensive restoration, some rooms could be used.

The castle offers its visitors historic rooms, a permanent exhibition of arts and crafts from the Ancient World up to the present as well as an exhibition of hunting weapons from the collection of the Mecklenburg dukes.



Bookmark this page on social media.